Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Cycle of Suck



I've wanted to write this article for some time. I felt on the decline for the last year, stuck in the descending phase of The Cycle of Suck. As the year comes to a close I feel the ascending phase coming back around, and I'm just starting to make the music that I like again.

I think most artists undergo this cycle. Approaching the top of the cycle is where we feel most inspired and do the best work. Thought is forgotten, everything comes together perfectly, we make the music we should be making. Inevitably, this small amount of time comes to a close as we pass through, over the apex, and begin our descent.

Damn Cycle




Although I say that the cycle 'descends' this is actually a time of growth, learning, and developing skills. Conscious thought is brought to the work. Many outside influences are mimicked and their techniques are studied. New tools are attained and mastered.

It's during this time that the final product usually is of no value. The process produces nothing. We work harder. It gets worse. We 'suck'.

As we pass through the lowest point of output, 'suck', we are actually at the highest point of learning. Ascension begins. We worry less about acquiring new tools, outside influences become less important, we start having fun again.

Let It Bounce




I believe the cycle is inevitable. I've always liked the Big Bounce theory of the universe. The idea is that the Big Bang occurs, the universe expands to an apex, then it contracts back into a singularity, then another Big Bang occurs and the next universe is born.

Big Bounce Theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bounce



Growth?



Perhaps a more appropriate title than the 'Cycle of Suck' would be 'Spiral of Suck'.
Each turn of the cycle produces different results, building on previous experience.

♩ The Neverending Sto-o-re ♩


At times going through it can be frustrating and confusing as hell, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I find immediate friendship with other people who are crazy enough to go through it. As my dear friend Dawn said to me yesterday "It's fine when it's sunny, it's fine when it's cloudy." So it never ends, but what could be better? I probably won't be making club music at 65, but I'll be making something, I know that!



cartoon from:
http://www.savagechickens.com/

Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

3 comments: