Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Beat Battles

Phillip Drummond (myspace.com/phillipdrummond) from San Francisco puts on beat battles every month, a bunch of really amazing bay area producers come out for it. I entered a couple times last year, and I've posted my favorite beats I made the for the battles.




Rocky Horror Beat Battle

my 2nd round beat:




my 1stround beat:




then I got my ass handed to me in third round. I broke my CD and tried to make a scene, but when I stormed off stage my foot got caught in the MC's microphone cord and we got all tangled up for like 30 seconds. ahhhh, comedy.

80s beat battle

final round beat, I did not make the finals though
everyone had to remix old Eric B track




download my Eric B remix

this was my 3rd round beat




I first heard about these beat battles through my friend Brian, I was like 'cool I want to enter', he was like, dude you should go to a couple first. So, we went to a few, and anything remotely dancy got clowned super hard by the crowd. I was like F that shit, I'm no masochist. Phillip Drummond the promoter started encouraging me to enter, I always made up excuses and shit. But then finally they put on an 80s beat battle, where they give you these selected 80s tracks, and you can only sample from those and a few shitty drum sounds they give you.

I really couldn't back down from an 80s beat battle. Totally made a fool of myself, but the second time I entered I learned a few things, came back pretty strong. It was Rocky Horror beat battle night, right around Halloween. I broke a record in half and wore it as a costume, as if someone threw it at me and it cut into my body. I couldn't find anything good for fake blood except for hot sauce, which, if you need fake blood, don't use hot sauce.


Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

8 comments:

  1. Steve Jones, founder and guitarist of the Sex Pistols, will be live on location at the Sundance Film Festival throughout the week for in depth interviews with guests such as Bob Saget, Adrian Grenier, Wilmer Valderrama, Jason Ritter and many more. These special interviews will be held throughout the week and aired live daily at 12PST on "Jonesy's Jukebox" available exclusively on IAMROGUE.com. So, tune in to "Jonesy's Jukebox" for special Sundance interviews all week airing excluisvely on iamrogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is spam, but noone's going to read it anyway. I just like that Bob Saget is going to be there. You know, Sagat really should be the best character on Street Fighter 2, it's surprising that he never really blew up. I play Ken, I think he has a little longer reach than Ryu, and is slightly more powerful. Ryu is a little faster. ...just a little

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats waaayyyy too bad you got owned. yo stuff is fresh. keep up the awesomeness, ill keep listening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Eric. The battles are super fun, it's actually good to get 'owned' like that, it really makes you step up your game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Eric B remix is siiiiiick. You gonna post that for DL?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks GMGN. I just posted a link to download. http://www.luzi.us/audio/LooseShus_eric_b_320.zip

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3rd round beat is a winner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Duude those beats are ridiculous! Woulda loved to been at the beat battle. I don't get how you got owned. What'd they wanna hear some gangsta shit or something? Loose-Shus is gangsterr!!

    ReplyDelete